Almost half of all Americans have one of the three key risk factors of heart disease: high blood pressure, smoking, and high LDL cholesterol. Too many people make poor lifestyle decisions every day that adversely impact their heart. Excessive alcohol consumption, poor diet, and physical inactivity are just a few things that can do permanent damage. It’s easy to forget to put into practice the fundamental ways of caring for the heart, but it’s one of the most important things to remember. Go back to the basics and look after your heart with the following guidelines:
- Avoid smoking: If you do smoke; quit. If someone living in your household smokes, they should be urged to quit. It’s hard, but it’s harder to recover from a stroke or heart attack or to live with chronic heart disease.
- Be more active: Make sure you’re active each and every day. Studies have revealed that getting at least 30 minutes of physical activity on 5 or more days per week can help lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol and keep weight at a healthy level.
- Choose good nutrition: A healthy diet is one of the best weapons to combat cardiovascular disease. The food eaten (and the amount) can impact other controllable risk factors like blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, and obesity. Prepare heart-healthy meals that are low in cholesterol and fat and rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber.
Likewise, everyone needs to know the indicators of an impending heart attack or stroke. Some heart attacks are sudden and intense, but most of them start slowly with slight pain or discomfort combined with one or more of the following symptoms:
- Chest discomfort
- Discomfort in other areas of the upper body
- Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort
- Other signs including lightheadedness, nausea, or breaking out in a cold sweat
San Diego Home Caregivers is here to help seniors make heart-healthy choices. Our extensively trained and experienced caregivers are here to help with meal planning, shopping, and exercise, along with many other services. We know determining the right care solution is an important decision. To learn more or to set up a free care consultation, contact San Diego Home Caregivers, a leading Carlsbad home care agency, today at (619) 487-9000. For more information on all of the other areas we serve outside of Carlsbad, please visit our Service Area page.