The holidays are chock-full of celebrations, parties, and get-togethers. However, for seniors, holiday outings call for a little supplemental planning. Try these senior safety tips from the home care professionals at San Diego Home Caregivers to enjoy fun and relaxed outings with family members of all ages this holiday season.
Prior to leaving the house, consider:
- How much walking will be required, and whether or not there will be parking nearby
- Whether the location is flat or has steps or hills to climb
- If it is wheelchair-accessible (if appropriate)
- If there is cover and shade
- Whether you can find bathroom facilities
- Whether or not there are seats available just in case the older adult wants to rest
Make sure to be prepared for a wide range of potential changes in plans:
- Have all necessary medications with you, and bring an extra supply, in the event the outing takes longer or takes an unexpected turn
- Have appropriate clothes along with rain and sun protection
- Bring along something to eat and drink with you, in the event of a delay
Need some holiday outing suggestions that older adults might enjoy? Take into consideration the following:
- Take a relaxing family drive to see the area holiday lights
- If possible and received warmly, invite the older person to your home to help decorate for the holidays
- Take your older loved one to a holiday party at a local senior center
- Attend community plays; in addition to the local theater or ballet, there are reasonably priced plays and shows given by local schools
When participating in any holiday activities for seniors, take things slow and create a relaxing environment to make sure the senior is happy and comfortable.
The home care team at San Diego Home Caregivers can help by improving a senior’s independence while providing exceptional in-home care during the holidays and all through the year! Call our dedicated senior care professionals at (619) 487-900 to learn more about our in home care in La Jolla and other nearby communities. For a full list of the cities we serve in California, please click here.