Caregiver stress is inescapable, but realistically, not always a bad thing. They say, “A diamond is just a piece of charcoal that handled stress exceptionally well.” But is that true for caregivers? In particular for family caregivers, the level of stress can rapidly worsen and become overwhelming, and if not handled correctly, result in significant health concerns.
Give these tips a try to decrease stress and enjoy a healthier and more peaceful lifestyle – both for yourself and those you love:
- Change your self-talk. Throughout the course of your day, you might find yourself thinking negative thoughts such as, “I just can’t do this!” or “Every single thing is going wrong!” Stop for a moment when negative thoughts begin to intrude, and say to yourself instead, “I can handle this, one step at a time,” or, “Help is available to me whenever I need it.”
- Have a break. Reduce stress with any or all of these tactics:
- Breathe deeply (inhale while counting to four; hold while counting to four; exhale to a count of four; hold for a count of four; repeat as needed)
- Take a walk or participate in another type of exercise
- Pray or meditate
- Listen to favorite music
- Write in a journal
- Reach out to a friend
- Try a stress-busting activity. There are countless enjoyable activities that can distract your focus away from whatever was generating stress and onto something more positive, like creating art, reading, spending time with pets or children, gardening, a home improvement project – even as little as 10 or 15 minutes spent on the activity can be helpful.
There are also apps especially developed with family caregivers in mind to help decrease stress and restore peace. You can find five that are particularly helpful here from DailyCaring.
Family caregiver stress is particularly prevalent for those who feel as though they have no support system, and are required to handle everything on their own. Thankfully, we can help! Call San Diego Home Caregivers, a leading provider of respite care and home care services in La Jolla and the surrounding area, for a free in-home consultation to discover how we can share in your caregiving responsibilities, enabling much-needed time away to destress, with services including:
- Meal planning and preparation
- Assistance with personal hygiene
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Errand-running, such as grocery shopping and picking up prescriptions
- Transportation to doctors’ appointments and fun outings
- Companionship to make each day better with engaging conversations, games, puzzles, hobbies, etc.
- Medication reminders
- And so much more
Contact San Diego Home Caregivers at (619) 487-9000 and find out how a partner in care can make all the difference in decreasing caregiver stress and restoring a healthy life balance for family caregivers in La Mesa and surrounding areas. Professional home care services are available; this informational video can help you learn more about your options.