The holiday season can be overflowing with a whirlwind of activity for the seniors we love, with family gatherings, holiday parties, faith-based services, and shopping for the best gifts for those they love. Yet after the holiday ornaments are packed away and families have gotten back to the daily busyness of life, many struggle with a common but little-discussed condition: post-holiday loneliness in seniors.
Although naturally seniors who live alone are most apt to develop feelings of isolation and sadness when the holiday activities are complete, all older adults are in danger of a case of the blues, as they look to the year ahead while reminiscing over years past. It’s vital for family members to create a plan to help their older loved ones experience a positive transition. Give some thought to the following tips:
- Make plans for the next get-together. Decide on a date in the coming weeks for another family celebration, offering the older loved one and the rest of the family something enjoyable to anticipate. For example, schedule an informal New Year’s resolution check-in party for the last week of January, where each person can report on his or her progress towards resolutions that were made, and each bringing along a dish to share a potluck meal.
- Create a chain letter. Split the family up into groups of five, and designate a number to each person who would like to participate, i.e., #1 – 5. The person with #1 begins by writing a short letter in the first week of January, mailing it to the #2 person, who reads and then contributes to that letter and then sends to the #3 person – and so on. The last person in the chain adds to the letter and sends back to the first person to read, and then a new chain can be initiated. Receiving ongoing mail with news about family members is a great pick-me-up for seniors.
- Partner with San Diego Home Caregivers. San Diego Home Caregivers’ skilled care companions are the ideal solution to post-holiday loneliness in seniors! Our caregivers are adept in helping seniors to remain socially and physically active through a wide range of engaging activities, according to each person’s interests:
- Reminiscing and conversations
- Puzzles, games, and crafts
- Exercise programs
- Transportation and accompaniment to fun outings
- And much more!
Let us help alleviate post-holiday loneliness for the older adults you love, and maintain a sense of community, purpose, and connection all throughout the year. We’re available for once-a-week visits up through and including full-time care and companionship. Call the experts in home health care in La Jolla at (619) 487-9000 and request an in-home consultation to establish what will work best in your particular situation, and help make your loved ones’ coming year the best one yet!