An incredible number of individuals nationwide are finding themselves in the position of providing elder care for an older family member, and while being a family caregiver is very fulfilling in many ways, the everyday duties involved with senior care can become tedious for both the caregiver and the care recipient. San Diego Home Caregivers, a provider of highly skilled elder care in San Diego and the surrounding areas, wants to help you put the fun back into your loved one’s day-to-day routine. All it takes is a little inventiveness! Try some of these ideas to make daily senior care more interesting:
These recommendations can add some style and fun to dressing, doing laundry, and other tasks:
- Ask the senior to help with laundry (sorting/folding/putting away). Make the most of this time to discuss your day, a television show you both like, or other common interest.
- Flip through magazines and catalogs and choose fashions you think the other would look good in.
- Make selecting clothes and accessories to wear every day a fun event.
Spice Up Meals
Food is part of our culture, family history and traditions, and is associated with numerous emotions. Make mealtime more fun by:
- Involving the senior in washing/drying dishes.
- Inviting the older person to assist in making a traditional family meal.
- Enjoying meals outdoors when weather permits.
Try Something New
There’s always something new to be learned, and no better time than now to try a new hobby or pursue a goal. There are a variety of virtual classes available, with some targeted particularly to older adults and offering reduced (or no-cost) rates. Look for possibilities to learn:
- A new language.
- How to play a musical instrument.
- Skills such as knitting, cooking, gardening, drawing – the options are limitless!
At San Diego Home Caregivers, we know that providing care for an older loved one can be both rewarding and intimidating, and we want you to know that you are not alone. As a leading provider of trusted in home care services, we offer quality companionship, personal care services such as showering and dressing, respite care, and motivation to engage in a variety of enriching activities.