Our brains are designed for socializing! So when older adults are not able to enjoy time with others, it leads to a lot of stress and health problems, including an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, obesity and mental illnesses. Some studies have even found that severe social isolation is as deadly as smoking!
Studies have shown that socialization:
- Reduces risk of disability
- Reduces depression and pain
- Protects the brain from mental decline
- Increases the quality and length of life
Here are some ways a home care agency such as San Diego Home Caregivers can help the older adults in your life stay social and protect their health:
- Encourage attendance and serve as a personal escort to social outings such as club meetings, community events such as fairs, holiday celebrations and parades, plays, concerts, and sporting events, religious services and church activities
- Play interactive games with clients such as board games, cards and Nintendo Wii
- Plan and schedule visits with friends and neighbors
- Provide transportation to an adult day facility or a low impact exercise class
- Provide companionship during family celebrations or vacations for maximum comfort and safety
- Introduce clients to social media such as Facebook and Skype so they can connect with family and friends even if they are homebound
Let San Diego Home Caregivers coordinate and facilitate social engagement activities while providing the highest quality of care for older adults in the comfort of home. Contact us to learn more about our home care in La Mesa and surrounding areas.