Advance planning and preparation can make a world of difference in quality of life and peace of mind following an Alzheimer’s diagnosis. When first diagnosed, taking the following steps can help before the disease progresses:
- Treatment Planning. Talk with the doctor about treatment options, determine the most appropriate individual to serve as your healthcare proxy, and be sure to develop a living will.
- Care Planning. Research local home care agencies if you prefer to remain at home. Build a care team of family, friends, and medical professionals to alleviate stress, ensuring that help will be available when needed.
- Financial Planning. Meet with both an attorney and financial planner, and look into care payment sources, such as veteran benefits, long-term care insurance policies, and government assistance.
Living a Healthy Lifestyle
Living a healthy lifestyle may improve cognitive functioning and perhaps delay the progression of the disease. Try incorporating these into your daily routine:
- Exercise: Even something as simple as taking a walk each day can have tremendous benefits.
- Stress Relief: Try deep breathing, meditation, or other relaxation techniques, journaling, painting or drawing.
- Healthy Diet: Five small meals a day are recommended over three large ones, including plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean protein and dairy, and unsaturated fats.
San Diego Home Caregivers is on hand to provide additional Alzheimer’s disease resources, as well as highly skilled, specialized in-home assistance. Contact us for a trusted partner in Alzheimer’s care in San Diego and nearby areas.