Clean Indoor Air Benefits Individuals Diagnosed With COPD
If you’re providing COPD care for an older loved one, you’re probably aware that outdoor air pollution can make symptoms worse. However, did you know that reduced air quality in the home can also lead to problems? Cleansing the air in the home can help those with COPD – and everyone else – breathe more easily.
The home care team at San Diego Home Caregivers recommends keeping the following COPD care strategies in mind:
- Prohibit Indoor Smoking. Don’t smoke or allow others to smoke in the home of a person with COPD. If there is a woodstove or fireplace in the home, realize that it can also be a source of irritation for someone with COPD.
- Reduce Chemical Exposure. Chemicals in the home such as paint and cleaning products can trigger COPD symptoms, so reduce the use of them, and be sure to keep lids on cleaning products when not in use. It’s also a good idea to look into healthier cleaning options, like baking soda and vinegar.
- Minimize Dust. Wash bed linens weekly, remove clutter, and keep pets off furniture in order to limit the amount of dust and dander.
- Purify the Air. Utilize an air filtration device with a HEPA filter. Even though air pollution is not as hazardous in rural areas as it is in the city, someone with COPD will still benefit from filtering the air and clearing away irritants and toxins.
- Sweep Floors Often. Keeping floors clean reduces allergen buildup. Bear in mind that hardwood floors are easier to keep in an allergen-free state than carpet and rugs.
- Use a Humidifier. Dry air from the heating system can make COPD problems worse, as can air that is too damp. Strive for a level of about 40% humidity inside the home for someone with COPD.
COPD patients can breathe easier with the help of San Diego Home Caregivers. We can provide:
- Helpful information about COPD care and management
- Exercise recommendations to ease symptoms
- Nutrition and dietary tips
- Skills to best contend with symptoms
- And a full range of home care services
San Diego Home Caregivers, a leader in aging in place in San Diego and throughout the surrounding area, is here to help with personalized home care services. Contact us any time at (619) 487-9000 to learn more about the many ways home care can help and to set up a free in-home consultation.