The great majority of seniors wish to remain at home for a lifetime, rather than relocating to an assisted living facility or nursing home – nearly 90 percent of them, according to research conducted by AARP. And who can blame them? The comfort of familiar surroundings, the freedom to go wherever, whenever you would like, the opportunity to prepare the meals you want when you want them are all priceless commodities.
But although it seems like the perfect plan for growing older, there are some real concerns to think through as well:
- Will the older person stay safe?
- How will the older adult get around once driving, or even walking, becomes a challenge?
- What happens if the older person gets sick or injured and no one’s close by to help?
Fortunately, it’s now easier than ever for seniors to stay safe and well at home. Considering the following help for seniors can assist you in taking the necessary precautions to ensure the senior you love is prepared for these needs and any others, now and in the future:
- Assess the home, both inside and out, from the viewpoint of the senior’s safety. Check to verify that:
- Grab bars are in place near the tub and toilet.
- Throw rugs and any other fall hazards are removed.
- There is plenty of lighting, including in hallways and stairways.
- Commonly used items are located within easy reach.
- Emergency numbers are posted in a highly visible location.
- Create a transportation plan, so it is ready to implement when driving is no longer possible:
- Look into public transportation choices that are available and easy to access.
- Put together a volunteer tree of reliable people the older person can turn to for transportation when needed: friends, family members, neighbors, religious organizations, local senior centers, San Diego Home Caregivers, etc.
- Make sure the senior has access to the technology that can be used in an emergency to reach out for help when alone, such as a PERS (personal emergency response system).
The perfect way to ensure older individuals remain safe and well cared for at home, however, is by hiring a professional home care agency, such as San Diego Home Caregivers. Our caregivers are trained and have experience in providing personal care services, transportation, meal planning and preparation, and companionship, and are available to help for as much or as little care as needed.
Our San Diego caregivers and staff start with the development of an individualized plan of care to address the senior’s particular needs and wishes, and then we continually monitor that plan and adjust as needs change – ensuring that the senior remains safe and can live life to the fullest, where it’s most comfortable: at home.
As the leading providers of senior companion care in San Diego and nearby areas, we invite you to contact us online or at (619) 487-9000 to learn more about how we can provide help for seniors in multiple ways.