Family caregivers dedicate so much of themselves to those they care for – both emotionally and physically. It’s easy to become worn down and begin to experience unexpected feelings such as indifference, weariness, and a detachment from the person in your care. Identified as compassion fatigue or secondary traumatic stress, it may be detrimental to your own wellness but could also impact your ability to be as caring, warm, and nurturing as you should be for the person you’re caring for. Read more
Do you know a senior loved one with a resistance to home care services or extra help at home? One of the biggest anxieties we have as we age is the loss of freedom and the ability to stay at home alone. Because of this fear, it can be very challenging to inquire about or to accept the help needed. San Diego Home Caregivers, provider of home care assistance in Carlsbad, CA and the surrounding communities, has some helpful elder care advice for you to try:
- Introduce the senior to the caregiver before care begins in order to initiate a relationship so that the caregiver is not perceived as a total stranger.
- If the older person is concerned about having someone he or she isn’t acquainted with in the residence, consider having a family member present for the first few visits.
- San Diego Home Caregivers can help with matching a caregiver who shares hobbies and interests with the senior, like a particular religious affiliation or pastimes. This can make the relationship with the caregiver feel more like a companionship.
- Make in-home care look more appealing by laying out the alternate options for the senior, like having to move away from home, moving into a nursing home, etc.
- Place the focus on yourself. Let your loved one know that you know he/she is very independent, but having a caregiver in the home will help you worry less.
- Start small with a trial run. Have a caregiver come in one day a week for several hours just to help with some light housecleaning or laundry and then build up to additional care after the older adult is more comfortable.
San Diego Home Caregivers can help you navigate this complicated time with your senior loved one and come up with the ideal care strategy. Whether the need is for just a few hours each week, full-time, around-the-clock care, or anything in between, we can help in a wide variety of ways, such as:
- Meal preparation
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Running errands
- Transportation to appointments and outings
- Personal care assistance
- Specialized care for Alzheimer’s and other chronic diseases
- And a great deal more
We recognize how difficult it can be when seniors feel like they’re losing their independence and therefore we understand the resistance to home care. Contact us today at (619) 487- 9000 to discover how our home care assistance in Carlsbad, CA and the surrounding areas can help you and senior loved ones!