Even though many older adults adapt smoothly when a new caregiver comes into the home, and enjoy a higher quality of life, there are some older adults who may still feel threatened. At San Diego Home Caregivers, we’re sensitive to the feelings of each individual we serve, and are experienced in helping to ease worries and restore peace.
A senior who feels the need to convince their family that hiring a home care agency is simply not needed may employ one of these common tactics:
- Arguing. Aggravations at being perceived as incapable of self-care may display as an increase in arguments, even over relatively minor issues. It’s important to recognize the underlying sense that the person needs to prove their ability to remain in control and in charge.
- Distancing from loved ones. The individual may show irritation through becoming standoffish and declining necessary support from family members. For example, an adult child who usually accompanies the person to medical appointments may now be prohibited by the person from going into the exam room.
- Concealing activities. If an agreement has been made for the person to restrict driving, for example, they may continue to drive when no one is around. Another example is refusing to adhere to a diabetic diet, eating unhealthily in private.
- Making dangerous choices. A senior who is encouraged to rest and allow someone else to handle a task that may now be unsafe, such as climbing a ladder to replace a lightbulb, may do just the opposite. In this way, they’re showing that they are still capable of activities such as this, but it could cause a fall and serious injury.
How Can I Help a Loved One Thrive With Home Care Services?
The truth is, no one wants to feel as though they are not able to meet their own day-to-day needs, or that they are in a state of decline. It’s very important to validate the important role the senior continues to play in our lives, and let them know often that they are both valued and needed. Several ways to accomplish this include:
- Enlist the person’s help in meaningful tasks.
- Reminisce about ways the senior has affected your life.
- Ask the senior for advice.
- Spend plenty of time listening to and engaging in conversations with the senior.
A professional caregiver from San Diego Home Caregivers will understand the many emotions older adults experience and the ways in which those emotions may present. All of our caregivers are trained and experienced in helping promote a sense of self-worth and fulfillment in life.
Get in touch with our home care agency at (619) 487-9000 for more tips and resources to pave the way to a smoother journey through aging! We offer a complimentary in-home meeting to answer any questions you have and to develop a care plan to address the particular needs of a senior you love in San Diego, La Mesa, La Jolla, Carlsbad, or other nearby areas. For a full list of the communities we serve in California, please visit our Communities Served page.