The rampage of COVID-19 cases in nursing homes and assisted living facilities was devastating, as the virus spread throughout our most vulnerable population in such close living quarters. As a result, many families considered moving a senior from assisted living into their own home, which raised a number of challenges.
San Diego Home Caregivers, a leading provider of home care in La Jolla and the surrounding area, is here to help ensure a smooth transition home for a senior you love. Before the move occurs, think through the answers to these questions:
- Are there any unresolved issues with your aging parent that may impact your ability to offer the best possible care?
- Do any home alterations need to be made, such as for example adding grab bars and railings, additional lighting, wheelchair accessibility?
- Is there enough space for the senior to have designated space for privacy?
- How will vacations be handled? Will the senior be able to travel to you, or is there a strategy you are able to put in place for respite care?
- If you work outside of the home, who can look after the senior while you’re gone?
- Could there be a challenge related to issues such as pets, smoking, or drinking, either on the part of your parent or some other person in the house?
- How will the move affect other household members? For instance, will one of your children need to give up his/her bedroom and share with a brother or sister?
Next, schedule a family meeting. This would include everyone living in the house as well as your siblings or any other family members who may want to be involved in the senior’s care. It’s important to give everyone the chance to air any concerns openly and honestly. After all, bringing your aging parent into your home is a life-changing event for each family member.
After the family is in agreement and on board with the decision, talk to your parent about the idea. Assess if the senior seems to be thriving in the social atmosphere of living in a facility, and if they will miss the activities and friendships. Reassure the senior that all the family is thrilled with the concept of inviting them home to reside, and address any concerns the senior raises.
Most of all, know that you’re not alone in your new care responsibilities! San Diego Home Caregivers is always here to serve as your trusted partner in care, offering as much or as little professional home care assistance as required.